I love making presents for the holiday season. A thoughtful, handmade gift such as soap, infused honey or a lavender eye pillow add a bit of luxury to the recipient’s days. I especially like to bring an edible hostess gift to a holiday party or cookie exchange. Recently, I took an online class on infusing honey with dried herbs and it got me thinking about similar projects. These projects need time to infuse or ferment so you need to start early.
Step By Step Instructions
1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
1/2 cup orange juice
Zest of one orange
One stick cinnamon
6 slices fresh ginger
- Sterilize a glass pint jar, washing thoroughly in very hot water
- Puncture cranberries with toothpick or fork, but do not mash.
- Add cranberries, orange juice, orange zest, cinnamon stick and ginger slices to jar.
- Add honey to fill jar leaving roughly one inch of head space. Cap tightly and shake.
- Place jar in a bowl in case liquid spills over during fermenting process. Loosen lid and leave in a cool, dark place for 4 to 6 weeks. Tighten cap daily and shake mixture. Do not store with a tight cap during the fermentation process.
I hope you’ll give this recipe a try and use your paper crafting skills to create a handmade gift tag to really make the presentation special. I’ll be posting more DIY gift ideas soon. Leave me a comment if you’re crafting a handmade holiday this year.